Highland Park Lutheran Church was organized with fourteen (14) members on February 15, 1922.    These fourteen people met at Denver Heights Presbyterian Church for worship.  In May, the  Rev. F.A. Neumeister was installed as the first pastor of Highland Park.  It was decided that the church needed a building of its own, so the purchase of two lots were made on Hammond Avenue.

 On September 12th, 1922, dedication services of the chapel took place.  Fellowship groups soon began to form:  Ladies￿ Aid Society, Luther Leagues, Sunday School Classes, Lutheran Brotherhood and many more.  At one time, the church operated a Christian Day School, a bowling alley and 14 baseball teams.   As spiritual, educational, and social needs were identified, the young church met them with appropriate programs.

 With such an active ministry, the congregation soon outgrew its chapel quarters and a more suitable and permanent structure was desired.  Plans were made to proceed with the erection of a new church, not to exceed $ 50,000.00.    Groundbreaking for a basement church took place in January, 1929 and the structure was completed on June 23rd of that year. 


As church growth continued, it was time once again to build a new sanctuary.  In 1949, the ￿Go ahead￿ was given to begin building a new sanctuary and on June 3, 1951, the current sanctuary was dedicated.  All furnishings were given as special gifts by members and organizations of the congregation.    Among the gifts that were given were pulpit, altar, lectern, communion rails, baptism fonts and a large statue of Christ.  All made from white marble from Italy.  The beautiful sanctuary also includes 22 stained glass windows from France.



 

For nearly 90 years, Highland Park Lutheran Church has provided worship, outreach, education, and community ministries in the Highland Park neighborhood of southern San Antonio.  Besides its rich missions history, southern San Antonio is experiencing a modern day renaissance in manufacturing, higher education, and retail shopping.  HPLC is ￿in the neighborhood for good￿ proclaiming the Good News of salvation in Jesus Christ and promoting community partnerships to better serve our neighbors.

We have been blessed with 10 Pastors, 2 Assistant Pastors and one visitation pastor.   It is with their commitment, and the commitment of the members of Highland Park, that we continue today.   Highland Park Lutheran is a friendly, liturgical church, holding to biblical and traditional values and principles of faith and life in church and society.

WE INVITE YOU TO COME AND SEE!

 
















 
 

705 Hammond Ave.
San Antonio, TX 78210

(Click on address above to get a map of our location)
Office Phone: (210) 533-9484         Fax: (210) 534-8747

Sunday School 9:00 AM        Worship 10:00 AM

email: info@highlandparklutheran.com